Friday, October 7, 2011

Squirrels and Marathons

All summer we have had not one but four squirrels living off our back yard.  Plenty of fallen peaches not to mention the ones in the trees and plenty of garden stuff.  The boys and their friends have tried flooding them out numerous times and tried to throw things at them and tried to shoot them with the airsoft guns.  Nothing has worked.  Parker finally got tired of it all and borrowed a trap from a neighbor.  He set it in the morning and by the time I got back mid morning there was a big fat squirrel having a freak out in there.  I left it.  Chase took it down when he came home for lunch but we left it in the cage till Parker got home.   He and I drove it a way away and let it go.  I stayed in the car and Parker held a pole.  I think we were afraid that squirrel would attack in retribution.  But all was well.  We survived!
We came home and he set the trap again.  He immediately caught another one.  The next day he caught another one.  But, that one I think was there too long.  Another one was out there by the cage.  We have never seen that one again.  They just have caught on!


My nephew needed a big sling shot.  We could not find one in town so I made one!  I know, do miracles never cease.  It turned out great and works great.  I made it out of my Taebo exercise bands and an old Home Depot apron.  Oh and one of Chase's new braided wrist bands.
It actually turned out better than this.  My brother suggested sewing darts in it to make it more of a pocket.  It worked out.


More running.  Parker decided to get back into it.  He took fourth I think at this meet and this last week he took third.  I think he is motivated but the season is over for him.  He says he wants to run all summer so he will be improved.  I say go for it!



I don't know if I mentioned but Chase finally passed his drivers permit test.  It took him four trys and over a long period of time.  He will be 16 in a month and I think he started to realized all his friends will be driving before him.  He got serious and  passed the test.  He had to work for the fee to take the test.  I figured I payed the first one.  If he was going to fail it was coming out of his pocket.  He had to do some much needed extra yard work.  Anyways, these are his new sunglasses and he is driving.  Pray for me!!!!


Last week was Garett's 19th birthday.  It was fun to have him here.  His dad and brother were here also.  One of his new friends here brought him a yummy cake.  We all shared with him.  We did fun gifts and then on Saturday night after the priesthood session they went camping.  Of course they had a great time.
Then we did our party on Saturday night.
brotherly love, oh brother.

This last week was the marathon.  I had no desire to do it this year.  Wes has been working hard and has been running all year.  Kenn, my brother, came and did it also.  It was 94 degrees that day.  They did great for the first 18 miles.  They stayed together and had a great pace, then it started to fall apart.  Wes hit the wall big time and had cramps in his legs.  That has never happened.  He struggled from then on and as usual Kenn had tons of energy.  They parted ways at that point.  We were all just past mile 23.  Wes had made sure I bought the good otter pops to have at that point.  I also had some cold drinks for the both of them and bags of ice.  Last year some little kids handed me a bag of ice and it saved me.  I wanted to do the same for someone else.  By this point, the water at the aid stations is not cold enough and satisfying.  We gave out some pops to people and ice.  Then Kenn finally came.  He was a bundle of energy.  Then we waited for Wes.  The pops were starting to melt.  Someone in our neighborhood ran by and I must have mentioned I would have the pops.  He asked where his was?  Well I panicked and gave my last one.  I know!  Nice wife!  I felt so horrible the rest of the day.  It was his idea and he did not get to partake!  You will see the dissappointment.
Ok, ya, I screwed up!

They made it.  He still loves me.



                                                                        

2 comments:

  1. Jill: That picture of Wes's face when he found out about the otter pops is priceless! Brian and I had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You guys have been really busy. I know how you feel about those squirrels. We have 1 too, and a herd of deer. I wish they had traps big enough to catch those.

    Way to go Wes on that marathon! I am impressed!

    And good luck with Chase driving. I will pray for you... and for your car to survive.

    ReplyDelete