Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Courageous Parenting

I have not been good at keeping up with my blog lately.  Sporting events have slowed down for the time being but the job of being a parent has ramped up.  We are in the midst of teenagehood and I am not faring well.  The other day I was telling my friend my woes and then later went over to pick up Abigail.  Her husband was there and told me he was giving a talk on Courageous Parenting and did I have any words of wisdom.  I laughed!  He has 7 kids and one on the way.  Who is courageous now?!  Obviously I had no words to contribute.  I sat through our High Council speaker on Sunday and listened to his take on the subject.  It got me thinking.  I hope all you parents out there and young parents realize how courageous you are to be parents.  I call my mom and dad often to apologize for my life and behavior.  The good thing is my mom says she feels the same way to her mother.  Thankfully our children grow up and realize what idiots they were. Redemption!  So, hang in there.  Talk to other parents.  We all have been there or are going through it.  It helps to know you are not alone.  Pick your battles.  Not all battles need to be fought or won for that matter.  There usually is a battle coming that needs to be fought.  You don't want to be fighting all the time.  Talk to your kids.  Really have a conversation and really listen to what they have to say.  Usually they are not telling the whole story so talk to their friends and their friends parents.  (you find out a lot that way).  Make sure they know you love them.  They know I may not like them some days and they feel the same about me (which is just fine) but they know I love them.  Expect them to be like teenagers but don't put up with the crap!  You don't have to.  Remember we are the parents and we make the RULES!  Rock on all you courageous and awesome parents.  You are my idols!
                                                                            

1 comment:

  1. So remember when I "ran away" to your house when I was a teenager... ha ha! This reminds me of that! You were awesome to just let me come over whenever I wanted and talk to you. Thanks for being an awesome example to me. I have always looked up to you! And now I still look up to you... I want to be such a fun mom like you! You guys are awesome parents! :)

    ReplyDelete